2nd Announcement IUFRO 1.05 & 1.09 Conference. Topics: What are the challenges of uneven-aged silviculture to forest adaption under climate change for sustainable wood production and biodiversity? Quantifying species and spatial structure changes related to climate change. Ecosystem services of uneven-aged/mixed species silviculture in the light of changing social needs. Dynamics of uneven-aged and/ or mixed forests under climate change.
17 September Travel day & evening icebreaking
18 September Conference Day 1
19 September Conference Day 2 & after lunch in-conference field trip to University Forest Enterprise
20 September Conference Day 3 IUFRO 1.05 business meeting & social evening on Chateau Křtiny
21 September Post-conference field trip Day 1
22 September Post-conference field trip Day 2
23 September Post-conference field trip Day 3
24 September Travel day
- Transformation of even-aged forests to uneven-aged forests after 50 years (1973-2023) – the rate of change of tree species composition under climate change (presentation of 50 years data set and practice in the field).
- Beech silviculture – from even-aged stands to value increment silviculture. Is it the best way to compare production and the social order?
- Long-term transformation of even-aged stands to Dauerwald – which Dauerwald models are optimal for the future? Presentation of spruce-beech-silver fir-maple model and oak-hornbeam-scots pine model.
Post-conference field trip:
- Thursday – 100 years celebration of Mendel University Forest Enterprise – „Silviculture for climate change and society“ – presentation of diversified uneven-aged, multi-aged silvicultural models and training stands for students and foresters in practice.
- Friday – Kinský estate Žďár n. Sázavou – Conversion of spruce even-aged stands into multi-aged mixed stands – experiences after 28 years; what knowledge from natural forest dynamics can we use in the uneven-aged forestry – presentation and field walk through natural forest Žákova hora on the Kinský estate.
- Saturday – Transformation of even-aged scots pine stands into the mixed oak-dominated forests in the buffer zone of Podyji National Park; restoration management for biodiversity support. Evening in the local winery;
Calendar of events
SEMESTER START27. 9. 202313:00Nearby the faculty
Bank holiday - St. Wenceslas Day (Czech Statehood Day)28. 9. 2023
Research Night6. 10. 202318:00 – 23:55Mendelova univerzita, Zemědělská 1, Brno
Bank holiday - Independent Czechoslovak State Day28. 10. 2023
MendelNet Conference Brno 20238. 11. 2023Mendel University, Faculty of AgriSciences, Zemědělská 1, Brno
Bank holiday - Struggle for freedom and democracy17. 11. 2023